The process of developing the Uruguay 2050 National Development Strategy aims to lay the foundations for Uruguay to move towards sustainable development.
Sustainable development is a broad concept that refers to development that meets the needs and desires of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs and desires.
The objective of a long-term national development strategy is to have a planning tool that:
- Reconciles diverse interests, promotes joint efforts, and guides the policy of future plans.
- Provides clear guidelines that frame the plans of the different government agencies.
- Establishes achievable challenges within a defined horizon.
- Frame the actions to be taken to achieve the defined course.
- Generate inputs for strategic decision making in the present that may have an impact on the national future in the medium and long term.